Young Architect Award
In the tradition of the American Institute of Architects’ College of Fellows, AIA Philadelphia’s Steering Committee of Fellows seeks to identify and recognize a young architect of exceptional achievement for past accomplishment and future promise.
A successful candidate must, through the materials presented to the Committee, display excellence and promise of future merit in one, two or all three of the following categories:
- Design Excellence: through the aesthetic or scientific application for the built environment;
- Practice: through leadership, management and/or specialized technical expertise;
- Education: through teaching, publications and/or research;
- Service: through exemplary service and contributions to the profession and/or society.
A candidate may choose to focus on a depth or breadth of contribution(s).
Nominees must be registered architect members of AIA Philadelphia between the ages of 25 and 39 as of the date of the application. Letters of recommendation will be accepted from any AIA Philadelphia member who has knowledge of the Nominee’s accomplishments.
Entry: All items listed below should be submitted as one single PDF no larger than 18MB. Please title pdf with Entrants name_YA (i.e. JaneSmith_YA).
- A one-page digest of achievements
- Three letters of recommendation from AIA members, only one of which may be from a Nominee's current employer or co-workers
- A declaration of the Nominee's responsibility signed by a firm principal is required for each submitted project. The declaration should indicate:
- that the Nominee was largely responsible for the project design;
- that the project was under the Nominee's direction as project manager;
- that the Nominee was the project architect; or
- a described level of responsibility.
- A brief biography of the Nominee, including date of birth, expanding upon the descriptions in the one-page digest; and
- Up to 20 8.5" x 11" pages, detailing the Nominee's achievements and role/contribution on
For more information, call Michael L. Prifti, FAIA, chair of the Steering Committee of Fellows, at 215 563 3900 Ext: 108.
2019 Drew Lavine, AIA
2019 Fatima Olivieri, AIA
2018 Jordan M. Mrazik, AIA
2017 Adam Montalbano, AIA, NCARB
2016 Paul J. Avazier, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, NCARB
2015 Fon S. Wang, AIA, LEED AP
2014 Joshua Otto, AIA
2013 Denise Thompson, AIA
2013 Brian Szymanik, AIA, LEED AP (BD+C)
2012 Danielle DiLeo Kim, AIA
2012 Jules Dingle, FAIA
James Oleg Kruhly
Daniela Holt Voith
David Whatley Hinson
Rachel Simmons Schade
Patrick Stewart Mcdonough