Licensing + Inspections/Gov't Affairs
The AIA and the City of Philadelphia’s Department of L&I work together to improve the process and submissions for building permit approval in the construction division. Activities include continuing education on the City of Philadelphia’s processes, the changes in the building codes and their application and in the process and procedures of the department. To learn about upcoming events, sign up for our mailing list.
Have a question or a concern you would like the committee to introduce to the Department of L&I?
And stay on top of the latest in L&I news
MARCH 18, 2020
As we are all adjusting to new working methods and locations, L&I is implementing their own adjustments. In Response to the Covid-19 closures the city has adopted the following adjustments to the processes:
- L&I offices are closed to the public. So, no in-person/paper permit submissions cannot be submitted. However, new applications made via eCLIPSE will be reviewed. All existing applications are still being processed. Permits will be issued, though it is not yet clear how that will be done.
- Construction activities are allowed to continue for the time being, and Inspections will continue. Contractors must schedule them through eCLIPSE or the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) phone system.
- PWD offices are closed to the public, but application services can continue online. Applicants will have access to resources and be able to set up new accounts and submit reviews at www.pwdplanreview.org. Applicants are encouraged to email any questions to [email protected]. Note that staff is working off site and will not be able to respond to voicemails.
- Streets Department is closed to the public. Online applications are limited to Plan Review Counter Submissions (Checklist #1), which can be issued through the eClipse system. Plan Review Intake Submissions (Checklist #2/3/4 & Sidewalk Cafes/News Stands) must all be submitted electronically via email to [email protected]
As we all know, this is a fluid situation and subject to change on a daily basis.
As part of our 2020 outreach efforts, we will be meeting with representatives of L&I on a regular basis. We would like to hear from you! What concerns do you see in the L&I Permitting process? What changes do you think would be beneficial to everyone? What could we suggest to L&I for improvements? Contact us! We have a new committee email address [email protected]
A Presentation was held at the Center for Architecture and Design regarding the updated building codes and impending updates to the City of Philadelphia Plumbing Code. Presented by Elizabeth Baldwin of the City of Philadelphia.
Please see below links for the Plumbing code updates and revisions to the Accelerated review bill.
AIA Philadelphia's L&I Committee hosted a program on the state of Philadelphia's Licenses and Inspections Department (L&I). Elizabeth Baldwin, Executive Director of Development Services of L&I discussed some of the latest developments and programs in the works including:
- Web-based Permitting
- Service initiatives (online appointment, project meetings, focus groups)
- House Bill 409 and proposed changes to the model building codes
- Change to the Industrialized Housing Act
- Special Inspections registration
- L+I Resources